Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Palladium III

“Every time battle is engaged I watch from the walls,” Helen told us. “You both do very well and your names are respected even in these walls. I ought to know, I usually stand with Priam, and he likes to know about the enemy fighters who do well on the field, you are both spoken off a lot. He also doesn’t get annoyed with me when I tell him how I really wish I had never left my home and husband. He speaks of his own sons as fools.” I shook my head, it was true that Priam’s sons were not worth looking at any longer, but when the father despaired in his heirs then things were really in bad condition. Paris had been an improvement over those that still lived, and the only thing that Paris had ever gained was through the lowest of deception. He had been even worse then Odysseus, thinking that it didn’t matter how he achieved it, it would gain him honor so long as he killed Achilles.

“You should stay here,” Odysseus told her. “If you are seen with us it won’t go well for you. It’s in that temple there right,” he ran towards the temple without even waiting for an answer. I went to follow him but Helen stopped me with a hand on my arm.

“Are you not able to do anything with him Diomedes? His disguise isn’t enough to stop people from recognizing him if they’ve met him before. I knew him as soon as I saw him around the Palace walls. You both are lucky I am on your side, if I hadn’t been you both would have been captured now.”

“I don’t have time right now, sorry Helen,” I said over my shoulder and she let my arm go.

It was late enough that no one was still in the main area of the temple. There were still a couple of priestesses and priests probably, somewhere, but we couldn’t see them. The statue was there however, on a pedestal, proudly displayed. Offerings lay around it, in largest prominence was a lovely white gown, clearly fine enough for royalty. Had some woman offered it for the safety husband? There was no time to wonder on the fate of those who would support Troy.

Odysseus was already kneeling down and tipping the statue and I only barely was in time to catch the head of it before it fell to the ground. I wrapped it in a piece of cloth I had brought for the purpose and we each took an end. I had wondered if the job was really worth having two people on but really we could have used more. The statue was deceptively heavy for its size and that was with Odysseus carrying a good deal of the weight. Say what I like about him, he is very strong.

We didn’t see Helen again. She must have gone back to the palace before she was missed. I would have liked to thank her for her help but it was probably better that we didn’t have the chance; it would have slowed our rush through the city. Out through the passage again and back to a place where we could feel safe and secure.

I don’t think I can begin to say how relieved I was to be out of Troy again. It was still night so there was no chance of battle being engaged and we were able to walk in peace towards our own camp. Maybe Athena even guarded us as we carried her statue, like she had guarded the people of Troy while they had it.

When we reached our beached ships we both set down the statue and positioned it upright. Even in the dark night it stood proud against the light of the nearest fire. I was staring at it, when I heard the sound of a sword being drawn behind me. Years of fighting came to my assistance; I dove to the side right on time, not even looking to see who it was. As I spun, drawing my own sword in one movement, I realized it was Odysseus.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment