Saturday, July 10, 2010

Not a Fairy Tale IV

“Prince Dominique, how rare your visit is,” she said. Princess Monique was sitting on a throne on a platform while Prince Dominique was forced to stand awkwardly, Alexis bowing next to him. They were not asked closer to the throne for a private conversation, nor were they offered the chance to make themselves comfortable.

“I come all of this way simply to see you, my dear cousin,” replied Prince Dominique, managing to keep his temper and remembering the courtly manners that had been drilled into his head from birth.

“Don’t tell me you’re here to beg for money because I don’t give out charity. Not even to a pauper’s province like yours,” said Princess Monique coldly.

“I did not come here to beg you for charity,” Prince Dominique said, blushing from shame and anger. He was about to turn on his heel and storm out of the audience chamber when Alexis spoke up.

“Your highness does my master great injustice; he came all this way to offer you his assistance. Knowing his place as your relative, and a child compared to your venerable age, he came to see if he couldn’t do even the smallest service for you.” Well like I said, Alexis was a toady, and a good one, because it worked.

“Well if you really have decided to show your good breeding at last,” said Princess Monique, relenting slightly, “there is something you could do.”

“At your service, my dear cousin,” Prince Dominique answered, swallowing his pride and thinking about the wedding that he wanted. Even if the princess wasn’t of good standing, the prince did find that he really did like her, and he wanted to show her that she was stepping up in the world. An arranged marriage could be made to work, he had seen that in his parents, but he knew that it had to start on a foundation of mutual respect. Since he and the princess hardly knew one another, the wedding seemed an important step in this process.

“And now you’re almost shining me in a good light, wonders will never cease,” commented the prince, breaking from the story again.

“Well, you are the main character of my story; I wouldn’t write about you if you didn’t have any redeemable traits,” I pointed out. “Though I might change my mind about them if you keep interrupting the story, keep to what I tell you to say.” I guess he got the hint, because I was able to continue with the story. Now, finally, the princess motioned Prince Dominique and Alexis forward so they could speak in private.

“My dear son, Prince Edmond, was injured on a hunt a week ago. It seems that a bear, grown large and mean with age, has decided that it no longer frightened of humans and their weapons. The people expect the prince to avenge his injury once he is better, and that will only be a few more weeks, we cannot put it off forever. We also can’t avoid it because the people will call him a coward; they expect a strong man in a future king. If you really wish to help us, go out and slay this bear before Eddy gets well again. You’re big and strong, I am afraid that my Eddy is a rather weak boy; he isn’t a country farmer like you. Slaying a bear isn’t the task for a gentleman of sensitive sensibilities like Eddy. I might find my way to giving you a wedding present if you do it.” The amount of condescension in this speech, and the barely veiled insults, made Prince Dominique grow red again. He was just grateful that no one could hear them, or the fact that he lacked the pride to show insult. Instead he bowed low to his cousin, and fled the audience chamber, with Alexis desperately trying to salve his wounded pride before they were even out of the door.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment