Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Gravity IV

First of all I have the pleasure to announce that I have now reached 200 posts with this one.


The delegation that went to talk to Death about mediating was Time, Justice, and I. It was not a delegation that got along well and we had argued about every subject imaginable between the woods where we had met and Death’s domain. We weren’t worried about her being there, Death was always home.
Death’s country was one of blackness and we only barely entered and then stopped. Future had once made the mistake of walking farther in and had gotten lost. Death had had to find her in the end and save her. Death always seemed to know where everything was and what went on in her realm. An example of this was that she was there to greet us within five minutes of our arrival.
“No,” was her first response when we told her what we were there for. “I have no interest in getting involved in your little fights, leave me alone,” she turned to go and Time caught her arm, much braver then I was.
“Just give us an answer, you are the least subjective one our group,” Time asked.
“It’s a stupid thing you’re asking of me, that’s why I refused. There is no way to judge such a thing. I know the feelings of humans better then any of you; it is part of my job. It isn’t that the humans fear one of you over the other, you are too different to judge in a contest like this.”
Both Time and I deflated and even Justice looked a little sheepish. I mean it had been so obvious for so many years and yet we had carefully overlooked it for the sake of our pride. Death turned back to me for a moment.
“Congratulations on being named, you are the last one aren’t you?” her voice was sincere so I didn’t bristle like I would have had it been Time who said it. Instead I just nodded, and then she was gone.
I have mentioned it before but I am much older and much wiser in these days. There are moments when I even release my hold on people completely for just a split second because it is amusing. I spend a lot of my time around science labs that study me because it is fun to break the rules right in front of them, and watch them dismiss every anomaly as impossible. I no longer have any interest in competing with Time, but I have become very good friends with Death.

No comments:

Post a Comment