Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Interview

Interviewer: Thank you for taking the time to speak with me like this. I’m sure our readers will love to find out more about it. There has been a great interest in you recently.

Roy Hilt: Not a problem. We have all of the time that you want.

Interviewer: First of all can you tell me a little about yourself? Your early history, where you grew up, things like that?

Roy Hilt: Well I was born in a small town in Nevada but we didn’t stay there for long. My family moved when I was two to Montana for my father’s work. We stayed there for some years, and that is where I went to school until I was in seventh grade when we moved again. This time it was to Mississippi because my parents had heard there was work to be had there.

Interviewer: How was your school life at the time? Did you have any memorable friends?

Roy Hilt: Oh, I had my friends. And my family was always very supportive, if that’s what you are going to ask next. I had a very healthy social life. It was around seventh grade that I decided that I wanted to become a musician.

Interviewer: Your family liked this idea?

Roy Hilt: I told you, they were very supportive. My father bought me a guitar and I practiced for hours a day. Pretty soon I found some other guys who played instruments and a girl who said that she could sing and we would practice in our basement together about once a week. We were horrible but we called ourselves a band and some people said we were pretty good for our age.

Interviewer: So what happened to the band?

Roy Hilt: You know how teenagers are, you get in a fight and pretty soon no one is talking to each other. I don’t even remember what it was the fight started over, but I remember that the singer and our drummer were going out and the fight ended with them breaking up. I don’t remember if that was the cause of the fight in the first place or not but that’s what it ended with.

Interviewer: Well obviously you continued playing music, so what did you do next.

Roy Hilt: Actually I took a break for a year, I even stopped practicing. In ninth grade though I mentioned to one of my friends that I had played the guitar and he made me bring it out. I handed it over to him and he played this amazing riff on it. It made me want to take it up again and he would bring over his guitar and we’d have jam sessions. My parents never complained, though I was always worried that they were going to. I think that they knew that I had talent and that it was my passion to play music. That friend was Greg.

Interviewer: So the band was just you two at first?

Roy Hilt: We weren’t exactly a band at that point. We were just two boys, playing in my room, even if what we were playing with were guitars instead of video games. The constant playing made me improve in leaps and bounds, I started to get noticed for real at that point, and so did Greg.

Interviewer: How did the other members of the band come into the picture?

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment