Saturday, February 14, 2009

Bus Riding VII

“Then there’s Annie, there was bad blood between them at one point even though later she seemed to forgive him. You said sometimes she even went over to his house to shoot right Jane?” Paul asked.

“Yeah, I had never heard there was anything wrong between them. They never acted like there was,” Jane said in surprise.

“I think I heard Bill mention something about them not getting along a long time ago,” I said. “I don’t remember the details though.”

“It wasn’t anything important; they just didn’t like each other as far as I know. You both know how Mike was, he wasn’t always easy to like. She would bristle at something that he would say and they would get into it, simple as that. Once they found out that they both liked guns they were able to find common ground and got along a lot better. Annie stopped taking offense at everything he said, and he stopped saying things on purpose to offend her. You could say that they met halfway in the end. Even though they would shoot together with me though they never really loved each other, it was more of a relationship of tolerance.”

“That would be no motive to kill though,” Paul said. I nodded, if we were just going with people who didn’t like Mike because of his attitude then the list could go on for pages.

“But we haven’t seen her for a while, I do worry about that. You don’t think that she is somehow involved do you?” asked Jane. “I mean I didn’t think anything of it when she didn’t come and shoot with us the other day because sometimes she didn’t. I haven’t seen her since either though, and that’s not normal.”

“Does anyone know where she lives or what her number is?” I asked. The other two shook their heads.

“I looked her up in the phone book the other night because I was worried about her, she isn’t listed,” Jane said.

“And I don’t think any of us knew her well enough to go over to her house. The only thing we have is the stop she gets off and that isn’t going to help us much. I know for instance that I live three or four blocks from my stop,” Paul said.

“Yeah, so we have nothing to go on. We should probably stop trying to play detectives,” I admitted.

“Weren’t you just saying that we should avenge our own?” Jane demanded. She has the habit of arguing with everyone, if you agreed with her then she would instantly changer her opinion most of the time.

“Yeah, I was,” I confessed. “But you know, we just don’t have the resources to solve this. All we can do is talk and that isn’t doing anyone any good.”

“It gives us something to do though,” Paul said shrugging. “Like Henry Johns, he didn’t like Mike at all. There’s someone with a motive.”

“I never did hear how that one started,” I said. If the others were amused by this activity I wasn’t going to ruin their fun. There were worse things they could do to make fun for themselves. Like winning all of my money at poker, which happens more often then I would like to admit, even to myself.

“Mike and Henry used to be partners in business; Henry invested most of his father’s railroad pension in their work. That was that boat and tube rental Mike now owns down by the river. They started it together though, about twenty years back now. How sad that I can remember it,” Jane added with a sigh.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment