Sunday, February 22, 2009

A ghost story, kinda VI

“If you give up the money won’t that be giving up what you worked so hard for?” Annemarie asked.

“Don’t be stupid girl, what use is money to a dead person?” Mrs. Williamson snapped. “So long as those stupid descendants don’t realize the money is gone then my enjoyment won’t go away.” She laughed in a very unpleasant way and Annemarie instantly felt sorry for what ever it was her nephew had had to put up with while she had been alive. “Those fools have now lost the house, I was born in this house and soon it will belong to total strangers. The last thing that I would wish is for some disgusting workman to find my riches. At least I approve of the use young Daray will put the money to.”

“Are you sure you won’t come and live at the house when it’s bought as well?” Daray asked. “It’ll be bought with your money after all.”

“Unlike you young man, I have no interest in cutting myself off from society. I will remain here and entertain myself with the new people who will live here. I have grown used to meddling with the living and I doubt I could give it up now. Now young lady, Annemarie was it? Go around to the back of the house and dig under the parlor’s widow box. I will go with you of course; you’ll find a shovel in the garden shed.”

“Why couldn’t the lawyer do this?” Annemarie complained.

“Because this seems unethical somehow, and I’m not so greedy for money as to go digging in people’s yards,” the lawyer snapped. “I’ll be leaving now; I want no part of this. Come out to the car when you are done.”

I envy Annemarie greatly, I must admit, to go digging for treasure on Halloween night with two ghosts as her only company. It is there we must leave her. There is a horseman of writing that comes to haunt this story known as writing and any good narrator would flee like a rat from a sinking ship. I hear there is a good piece being worked on right now about some ninjas and I think I will head over there immediately and look for work. My pride as a narrator however dictates that I clean up some lose ends.

Annemarie became independently wealthy after this night. Not because of the amount the old woman had saved in her lifetime, which while for the time had been a large amount but in truth was only about ten thousand dollars. However it was the largest amount of old currency found in a very long time and in action resulted in a large surplus of money even after the purchase of the house.

The house Mrs. Williamson lived in went through many owners, most of whom only lasted a few months before deciding that the house was just too unpleasant feeling to live in. In the end she met her match however when a family called in an exorcist. Nothing was heard of her after that.

Daray wandered around some, but he always came back to what he rightfully thought of as his house. He sometimes visits Annemarie but she complains because of his melodramatic timing. He can’t seem to resist showing up at midnight during thunderstorms. So this story comes to an end I have to rush, because I told the hiring office I would over in ten minutes.

1 comment: