Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pride II

“So I was just telling Pride that I think the rest of us outrank him now,” don’t you agree?” Envy asked Wrath, giving up on his battle with Lust.

“Shut up you little worm,” Wrath told him angrily. “We aren’t supposed to use our sins against one another.”

“Then why are you shouting at me?” Envy demanded. “I’m not trying to make him jealous of us, I am just making conversation.”

“Me getting angry is to be expected, it’s who I am, I’m not making you get angry however. You are making Pride jealous. That’s against the rules.” The rules are very important; they kept us from fighting one another. Like sibling everywhere if someone doesn’t stop us, we will start fighting. It gets to be a real problem, but the rules prevent us from getting too out of hand.

“If you boys ever want to taste my sin all you have to do is ask. I’m sure I can find you some pretty girls,” Lust purred. I shuddered; I had seen what it was that Lust did to people, while I wasn’t human, I wasn’t willing to see if I would make as much of a fool of myself. She was one of the great destroyers of kingdoms. Gluttony could lead people to die early; Wrath could lead nations to war, but Lust I was truly scared of. After all, even if I were to murder someone for instance I would be able to simply not exist in the living plan for a bit and the problem would be solved. Lust however could get me in big trouble, even in my inhuman form she could distract me from my work and cause me to make a fool out of myself.

“Don’t think I will ever take you up on that,” I said as casually as I can and everyone else in the room seemed in firm agreement.

“Admit it Envy, you were breaking the rules, I think you should apologize to Pride,” said Greed. He wasn’t such a bad person so long as you kept him fed with a steady supply of money and didn’t raise a fuss when he stole stuff from you.

“Sure, you guys are always siding with Pride,” complained Envy. It was after all in his nature to only see people siding against him. Jealousy made him a bit paranoid sometimes. “Sorry Pride, you happy now?”

“I guess it will do,” I said, I wasn’t going to let them see how happy I was to see Envy forced to submit even slightly to me. I try to keep my nature from interfering in my dealings with my siblings, I don’t always succeed but I do try. In an attempt to hide my elation from the others I went to look out the picture windows. I was letting their conversation wash over me, not paying attention when suddenly a woman in the crowd below us caught my attention. I don’t know what came over me but suddenly I had to go speak to her. She was the loveliest thing I had ever seen. I ran out the door without even excusing myself.

“What’s going on with him?” I could hear Gluttony ask but I didn’t feel like stopping long enough to answer her question. I could also hear Lust giggle and I felt sick to my stomach but I couldn’t stop myself. All I could think about was that woman; I had to chase after her. It would have been better at that moment had I been a normal human, a normal human would have not been able to find her again, and that would have been that. I am not a normal human; I can find any human I want to.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment