Monday, April 6, 2009

Hyde's Story IV

First off, before this post, I would like to announce that this is officially my 100th post. I just felt like I should mention that....well anyway.

The next few months Jekyll was even more sickening self righteous then he had been before. His hypocrisy, of which only I was aware, made him unbearable to even share a mind with sometimes. He went out of his way to be pleasant to his friends, to do good deeds, to donate money to charities; he was truly a model citizen. I was raving; I wanted to destroy this man by now for his ability to live a normal life when he had done the crime as much as I had. I was almost ready to throw away my own safety for this sake even, almost but not quite. I still had no wish to die by the hangman’s noose for a man like Jekyll.

Jekyll, at total peace with himself, tended to wander the night just as I had, but in the guise of a respectable man that he wore so well. He was sitting on a park bench, watching people pass by when I found his thoughts following more along the path that mine usually did. It was as if my brain was melting into his. He looked around and saw everyone as hypocrites, living their pretend public lives and as he grew as filled with contempt of humanity as I always was. With his thoughts going in this direction I was suddenly dragged out of my hiding spot in his body, I was now the one who was sitting on the park bench.

Remember by now I was a wanted man and this was therefore not a position that I liked at all. I no longer had my own home, and to return to Jekyll’s house would be too dangerous. I had to find a way to escape this public place and without making myself findable. It was Jekyll who actually provided me with the answer, a cheap hotel on the other side of town. Now was the time for us to work together, both of our necks were on the line.

The cab driver gave me an odd look and I was almost tempted to kill him, just so that he wouldn’t be able to report later when he had dropped off the strange man. He seemed to sense the fact that I was dangerous at this moment though because he didn’t say anything and didn’t even ask for fare. Well I must have looked odd at this moment. I am a much shorter man then Jekyll is and I was wearing his clothing.

Once I was installed in the safety of the hotel room I wrote two letters, one of them to a friend of Jekyll’s, the other one to Jekyll’s servant. Of course I wrote both of them in Jekyll’s hand writing rather then the one that he had given me. I knew that my life hung in the balance of those two notes and the stress was extreme for that whole next day. I didn’t emerge from my room until close to midnight, when I had arranged to meet with Jekyll’s friend, I even had my meals brought up to the room.

Jekyll’s friend had the cabinet contents I had asked him to bring waiting for me at his house. I mixed the ingredients that I had seen Jekyll mix so many times, he was whispering instructions to me so I knew I had made it right. I think that my hands were shaking while I mixed it, even though I knew it was right. A lot was riding on this. I was going to drink it when I realized that Jekyll’s friend was still watching me. I wasn’t created to be a considerate person but he had done me a favor so I thought that I owed him at least a small courtesy. I asked him if he was willing to see what was going to happen or if he didn’t think he would be better off not knowing, it was the least he could do. The fool of course allowed curiosity get the better of him and as it is already known he paid the price for it. When I heard that he was dead I have to admit that I thought it was poetic justice. Jekyll wasn’t pleased with me for giving us away to his friend, but there was never anything Jekyll could do to harm me, or at the time I thought that there wasn’t.

To be continued...


1 comment: