Friday, April 3, 2009

Hyde's Story

Hyde’s Full Statement of the Case

I was created to be evil, which was the full reason that I was given life, not through any honest way, but through strange science and alchemy. It was with this purpose that I have lived but now, in my last days of life, I wonder about my purpose. My creator, Jekyll, I refuse to give him the honor of his title doctor, was a fake of a man who I quickly lost all respect for. Who could blame me for my actions when my very personality was given to me by such a man? A man who thought nothing of doing great cruelty so long as it wasn’t his face doing it, a man who hid what he really was from the rest of the world, a man who pretended to be upright and moral for the sole reason of gaining respect from the unknowing populace.

I will not deny that I have done horrible things during my existence. How much of that was me, as Hyde, and how much of that was me as an avatar for Jekyll even I could not say. Even I have no way of saying how much control he had over my actions and I will not try to make myself blameless. I do not believe in God, God would not have allowed my creation, so I do not fear being punished by a higher authority for what I have done as Jekyll egged me on. I do have some morals though, and these bother me sometimes. Sometimes that I think that my morals are stronger then Jekyll’s assumed and shallow ones, Jekyll puts morals on as a front but feels not a pang to then drink his dreaded potion to release me.

I think the first time that I had self doubt was the horrible night that I did my first crime of violence against an innocent. I had done violent things in the past but never before against someone who was totally helpless. A part of this escalation was Jekyll in the back of my mind, my mind was usually filled with blind rage and Jekyll, the cause and creator of all of this anger, would sometimes drop hints into my mind about what I could do with that anger. I think it amused him to sit back and watch me sin while thinking himself blameless. It was in one of these moods of mindless rage that I found myself trampling a small girl underfoot. I couldn’t say what I was thinking, prior or during this event. Jekyll’s scorn for the world was sometimes the only thing that was brought to my mind and when that happened I would lose all thoughts and become pure rage.

I left the scene of my crime as quickly as I could, I couldn’t stand to see the girl writhe on the ground. I wasn’t able to absent myself for long though, a man who apparently had seen my horrible deed instantly chased after me and grabbed me by the collar. My irrational anger long since calmed I allowed myself to be taken without a fight back to where the girl lay. Jekyll was shouting in my mind to fight him, to destroy the man who was arrogant enough to grab me in such a way, but I resisted. I do think that something about the internal debate that was going on in my mind may have crept into my face though because I saw the man who had grabbed me shudder with horror. People often shudder when they see my misshapen body, but this was true fear, which is different then normal. The girl was now surrounded by her family and the doctor was seeing to her. I was not created to feel guilt but at that moment I think I felt my first pains of what would eventual become guilt, once it had time to fester and develop.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment