Friday, July 17, 2009

The Black Sheep IV

Jack started to look for work after we got him clothes but it wasn’t easy for him by any means. I started to get frustrated with the world for him, even though he didn’t act upset by the way things were working out. I mean I was doing well for myself still, but suddenly Jack’s failure was mine too. I knew he was trying because I had sat across from him as he filled out piles of applications spread across the table. I had told him that he could have a place at my house for as long as it took but weeks passed and he never even got a call back.

Jack got up Saturday morning to find me already dressed and about to head out of the door. He took the tooth brush out of his mouth to look me up and down. I had some of my older, shabbier at home clothing on and he seemed to notice.

“Where are you off to?” Jack asked.

“My parent’s home, they asked me to do some stuff around the house,” I said, grabbing the keys from the hook next to the garage door.

“Let me get this straight,” said Jack, giving me a funny look. “You work over forty hours a week at the office, you finally get a day off, and you spend it working at your parent’s house? Didn’t you go over there and help out last weekend too?”

“I don’t mind,” I lied. To tell the truth I was a little annoyed with becoming a handyman at my parents’ beck and call but I couldn’t say no. I had dedicated too much of my life living according to my family’s wishes to change now. They had decided my career, what I wore, where I bought my house, everything. Normally I tried not to think of it like that but that was how it was anyway.

When I got back that night I found Jack drunk on the floor. He hadn’t touched any alcohol since he had moved in with me, not even when I had offered him a beer, but now he had my bottle of cooking brandy next to him, almost empty, and pouring out onto my linoleum. I shook my head and managed to half carry, half drag him, to bed. I cleaned up the brandy, was happy to note that that was the only mess he had made, and went to bed myself.

I didn’t actually sleep that night. I had far too much on my mind. I kept thinking about how hard Jack had tried, and how many times he had failed. I also started thinking about my own life, led completely to please my family, and I couldn’t help but think that was just as sad. I got up in the middle of the night to look some things up on the internet, flipped a coin, and then got to work.

I was eating breakfast when Jack walked into the kitchen. He was already fully dressed and looked very sheepish. He stood there expectantly but I couldn’t figure out why so I just kept eating. I mean I didn’t have time to figure out what he was thinking, I was too busy working out what I had decided to do last night, as well as trying to keep my eyes open after an all-nighter. I had to go into work today though, I had to quit, and it’s best to do that to your boss’s face. Finally he decided he was going to have to say what was on his mind.

“I’m sorry about last night; I guess you probably want me out of the house.” It wasn’t a question and I realized he seriously thought that I was going to order him out of my home and was trying to save me the embarrassment of bringing it up.

“It’s not your fault. I made pancakes by the way; they are over by the stove.”

“You’re not mad?” Jack asked, cautiously.

“I have no reason to be. Who wouldn’t be depressed after trying so hard to get a job and not being able to find one? That’s why you can work for me,” I added, pouring myself another cup of coffee so I could think better.

“You don’t have a business,” Jack said, looking at me like I was crazy.

“I’m starting one, and you’re my first employee,” I said calmly. “I’m going to open a lawn care and house maintenance business and you seem good at that sort of thing so you’re hired. I haven’t thought of a name for it yet.”

“Are you serious?” Jack asked me.

“Yep, I’m quitting work today. I’ll work my two weeks, because quitting on short notice gets you a bad reputation, and that will give me time to set up the basics of my business anyway. Do you mind if I set you up as my agent while I’m at work. I’ll give you power of attorney tomorrow after work. Today I have to go to the bank and get a second mortgage on this house, which will give us some working money.”

“This is all really sudden, aren’t you really about to risk everything? And the family won’t be happy,” Jack pointed out, putting a couple of pancakes on his plate. His disgrace over getting drunk was clearly forgotten with him wondering at my sanity.

“I bet it all on a coin flip, it went with this path, and I’m not sad that it did. Now I’ve made my mind up. I’m good at doing yard stuff and things around the house thanks to my parents calling me every time there is a leaky faucet or a dead limb so I’ll pull my weight as well.”

“You also trust me an awful lot for someone who you know has been in prison,” Jack pointed out.

“I’ve let you into my house for a couple of months now, and you haven’t stolen anything. You’ve even helped me out rather then just free loading. I figure I can trust you,” I said shrugging.

“I was arrested for stealing from an employer you know; I needed the money desperately, but still. No one will hire me, are you sure you aren’t just doing it out of pity or because we’re family. I won’t take charity.”

“Shut up,” I said, finally losing my temper. I hadn’t gotten a lot of sleep and now that I had chosen a path for myself I wasn’t going to let Jack dissuade me. “If you don’t want to work then just say no, you can stay here anyway, I don’t care; I’ll just find someone else to work for me. I don’t know how long I’ll have a house though if this doesn’t work out and I thought you might want to gamble it with me. We could both be homeless by the end of the year if this business fails.”

“Fine, though you’re the one who’s putting everything on the line.” Jack and I shook hands and I drove to work. On the way I called my mother, it was best to get things over with right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment