Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Bus Club II

“She kind of did tell me no, I remember that,” protested Yanuva. “She told me her parents wouldn’t allow her to go over to the house of anyone they hadn’t met. So I told her I would go meet her parents.”

“I wasn’t actually going to introduce her to my parents,” admitted Shizu, “except that I was forced to.”

“Hurrah for school advisors,” said Yanuva. Shizu’s parent’s make her go see the advisor every week because they are determined that she isn’t developing adequate social skills. In order to get the advisor off of her case a bit Shizu told him that she had become friends with Yanuva and was having her over after school.

“After that I didn’t have a choice, he reports to my parents,” said Shizu.

Onani has never told me how he got dragged into Yanuva’s wake and Yanuva alone telling a story is a little unfair so let us just say that he joined the club before I did. But it wasn’t a club still, they were eating together but they hadn’t even thought about making it a club until Shizu’s next meeting with the advisor.

“He told me ‘I still think you should interact more with your peers. I want you to join one of the extracurricular clubs the school has. It will be good for you.’”

“When she told me that I had to help her,” said Yanuva. “That’s what friends are for after all. Why should she have to find a club when we already were one practically?”

They ran into a problem though getting recognized as a club however by the school. And they had to be because the school advisor had given Shizu a time limit of three weeks to find a club or he would find one for her. The guidelines to become a school club however are kind of strict. First of all the club must have at least four members, they were only three at the time. That’s where I came into it.

It was my first day of school. We had just moved from halfway across the country and I knew no one in this new place. Everyone was being nice enough to me but I hadn’t been picked up by a group yet. I therefore was eating my lunch alone when Yanuva spotted me. She must have thought it was a perfect chance.

“Would you like to join our club,” were the first words Yanuva said to me. She sat down across from me. Shizu and Onani joined her. I stared at her.

“What kind of club?” I asked. She looked embarrassed.

“Well we haven’t exactly figured that out yet, we’re just starting out you see. But we need another member.”

“I don’t see why I should join a club when I don’t know what kind of club it’s going to be,” I said.

“Well it will be a social club we think. You know the sort of place where you just go and talk and maybe eat some snacks and stuff. We aren’t sure if we can get a teacher sponsor for such a club though so we may have to scrap that idea though. Please join, we have to have another member.” If I have one fault it isn’t being able to say no to people when they beg me to do something. And she sounded pleading enough to melt the hearts of anyone. Besides she was the first person to ask me to any social event at the school.

“Alright, I’ll join your club if you get it approved,” I said. I have to admit that I thought that I would never hear from them again. Something as disorganized as what they were talking about didn’t hold much promise. I wasn’t accounting for Yanuva’s stubbornness however.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment