Monday, July 6, 2009

The Danger of Sneezing IV

“Sorry about the other night. I hope I didn’t act badly,” I started out. Bethany laughed, which made me feel better.

“That’s alright; I got a little tipsy as well,” Bethany said. Which I thought was very decent of her to say since I knew for a fact that she hadn’t, I hadn’t gotten drunk enough not to notice.

“You don’t think I’m weird, I know I said a lot of stuff,” I said, not sure how to bring it up.

“Not at all, were you telling the truth?” Bethany asked me. Now here of course was my chance to deny the whole thing and announce my normalcy but I really liked Bethany. In fact I was starting to think that I more then liked Bethany, as short as our acquaintance had been, and I didn’t want to keep something so serious a secret from her.

“I was telling the truth,” I admitted, “as strange and ridiculous as it sounds.”

“Not really, I mean I believe all sorts of things most people don’t. Like Atlantis, and men on the moon, and that the earth is hollow. I have people tell me all the time they don’t believe in things like that but I still believe in them. Why wouldn’t I believe you, especially when you say it so seriously?” I had mixed feelings about this to be honest. A part of me was dismissing this whole thing. My rational brain was telling me, alright, so she doesn’t think you’re crazy only because she is. There was another part of my brain though that was telling me that she was attractive, single, and the only person in the world not likely to dismiss me when I told them about my problem. She might be crazy, but that meant that I could open up to her unlike everyone else.

Now that that had been settled we walked home comfortably, talking with one another about nothing in particular, but in a happy way. I paused for a long moment on the stairs, unsure how to say goodbye to her when it got to the point for us to separate. I guess Bethany saw the look on my face because without a word she stood on her tiptoes and pecked me on the cheek. Before I could react, she had already run up the stairs to her own apartment. With any other girl I would have been worried that she had been saying good bye with no intention of seeing me again, but not this time. I unlocked my apartment door whistling.

No comments:

Post a Comment