Friday, August 28, 2009

Devil Linda X

“I want you to become a lawyer's office for defending the spirits that come here. The ones that you think are innocent of course, the ones who appeal, or the ones where there is some doubt. I will expect you and the demons that I assign under your charge, to bring evidence of their innocence. I am going to found another department that is going to be in charge of finding evidence of their guilt,” Linda announced. It was the fruit of her long hard thought.

“But it's just humans,” protested Dante. He obviously was torn between being honored with the trust she was giving him and the fact that he didn't like the job description.

“You are human as well, never forget your humanity,” Linda snapped at him. “We owe it to our fellow humans to be as fair as possible. We are the prisons and the judges, it is only right that we should be giving them a chance to protest. It is only natural that the innocent should be given a chance to prove it. Now I am going home and going to sleep,” Linda marched out of the room. Dante looked after her and after she was gone he smiled, she was finally starting to act like a leader, she was now the sort of person that he could follow.

“How was the sleepover?” asked Linda's father as Linda walked into the house.

“I hardly got any sleep at all. We spent all night watching movies,” Linda lied, trying to stay awake. “I'm so tired, I think I am going to go to bed and sleep for a while. Can you wake me up for dinner?”

“Not a problem,” Linda's father told her affectionately. “You go and get some sleep honey.”

“Oh yeah,” Linda said turning back around to face her father. “Can you get me some information on schools with law departments and sign me up from the GED?”

“What?” asked her father, shocked. Both he and his wife had tried to be accepting about what their daughter had decided to do with her life but neither had been happy about it. His wife had been even less happy about it then he had, but they had both gotten to the point where they were resigned to her choices. Now she seemed to be speaking completely out of character.

“I want to be a lawyer. I decided last night,” Linda explained. “It seems like a good career, I like justice.” What she added mentally was that she had no intention of using the law degree in practice. Well not in the human world. If she was going to move over to a justice based hell however, and sit judgment on a court, then she wanted to know something about justice. Of course she wasn't going to follow earth law to a letter but she was going to take any ideas she could.

“I think you will do very well,” her father said quickly. If his daughter was willing to go to college and look to the future he would do anything she wanted him to. With a smile of satisfaction Linda went upstairs to go to bed. A job well done after a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment