Saturday, August 8, 2009

Lif's Tale

Sitting in jail, without the money to pay bond, waiting on a murder charge, isn't a lot of fun. I had no doubt of my conviction, when my trial came, after all I had pleaded guilty, because I was. There was no point in denying the fact that I had killed the man. Even though I was in such a position, uncomfortable though it was, I did not leave my cell immediately when the door sprang open. A lot of the other inmates went running out right away, heading for the door that had also become unlocked but I didn't trust it. Things like that didn't just happen, it seemed far too likely that it was a trap.

It was a full fifteen minutes before I finally decided to chance leaving my cell and advance into the hall. I expected to hear the guards somewhere but there didn't seem to be anyone left in the building. I crept through the abandoned prison, past the windows where normally an officer would be sitting, waiting for a jail break, but he wasn't there. I held my breath through the whole building, and didn't relax even as I walked into the prison yard.

As soon as I got outside I could see why it was that no one cared if one or two murders got free. That was the least of anyone's worries at the moment. Up in the sky I could see a huge wolf, I had never seen anything like it. The other prisoners, the ones who had escaped right away, were staring up at the sky without moving, side by side with the police and guards who were making no objections to them being there. As I watched the wolf bent and snatched up the sun in its mouth. In one big gulp, it swallowed it and the world was plunged into darkness. Around me I could hear the mix of reactions around me, some people swore, some prayed, some sank to the ground, I looked to the gate, which was open just like every other door in the jail. Pretty soon someone was going to take control and herd all the prisoners back into the jail I was sure, and I had no interest in being herded. I was pretty sure that if a wolf was eating the sun it was the end of the world and I didn't want to spend the last day of the earth in a jail.

If it seems like I was pretty calm about the fact that the world was probably over and we were probably all going to die, that's simply because I was. I had had the death penalty to look forward to after my trial, I had gotten used to the idea I was going to die. Now I was going to die a little sooner then I had expected but I had made the decision I was going to make the most of it. While everyone was still looking up at the sky I calmly walked through the gate to the jail.

The panic on the street was if anything worse then what was in the jail. I could see some people were looting, some people were sobbing uncontrollably, there was even someone who seemingly had killed herself. I was just wondering where I should go when the ground started to shake. Living on the coast like we do earthquakes aren't exactly new but this was worse then any earthquake I had ever felt. And then the earth collapsed under my feet.

I could hear screaming all around me but I couldn't see anything. And then I realized that I wasn't laying in a pit like I had thought, the shapes under my back were steps and I could hear what sounded like an army coming up them. I opened my eyes and groggily stood up. Looking up at the distant sky I could see the sky was no longer pitch black, it now had a rainbow in fiery colors stretching across it. Even as I watched though shapes seemed to be marching across the top of the rainbow and as they walked the rainbow seemed to crack and crumble behind them.

The stomping footsteps behind me were now almost on top of me and I decided that I didn't want to meet what ever it was that was coming out of the ground in a dark tunnel. I ran up the steps and reached the surface with the sound of footsteps ringing in my ears. I had thought that it sounded like an army and I had been right. The legions came forth, in old and rusted armor, and antique weapons . They were shouting things but I could understand nothing that they said, it was an language that I had never heard before.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment