Monday, August 31, 2009

Gravity II

“Then let me show that I can beat you in your chosen field of measurement of success,” I challenged, truly allowing myself to get carried away by the flow of the conversation.

“Now you have gone too far,” growled Time, standing. In my arrogance I was completely indifferent to his wrath though the others looked uncomfortable. “I’m not having someone not even named by the humans yet challenge me. They have feared me since they first discovered that they age.”

“It isn’t you they fear, it’s death. You’re no death, you’re nothing better then death’s boogieman,” I mocked. Death was technically one of us but she was a grim, antisocial sort, no one was shocked when she had not shown up to our little meeting. It was never spoken but we were all a little uncomfortable around Death. Even back then, when I was young and stupid, I knew not to bother Death. I couldn’t have said what I thought she might do to me since I couldn’t die, but I knew she was a threat and kept away. If nothing else we could all choose our appearances and she was the only one who chose to look consistently old. We all had our favorite shapes but the rest of us liked being youthful. Not so with Death who continued to remind us of her nature by wearing the appearance of a withered crone.

“I’ll take your challenge then,” shouted Time, angrily. “Like Future said, humans are a good gage. I’d love to see someone who hasn’t even been named yet beat me when it comes to getting respect from humans.” I had to admit that he had a point, seeing as humans didn’t even seem to know I existed it was a stupid bet for me to make.

“It sounds boring, a sure win for me,” I said, trying to worm out of it.

“You are the one who proposed the bet to start with, you can’t back out now,” Justice told me. The others, all sitting around the fire, nodded in agreement and I found myself trapped.

“Fine, you’re on,” I blustered, and I popped away from the fire and back to my own kingdom. As much as I hate my tomblike castle it was a safe place where I didn’t have to face the others, who were starting to seem suddenly hostile towards me. I know that the excuse starts to sound old but I was young, and I didn’t understand how what I had said had brought this on me. Had you asked me what had happened I would have laid everything on the shoulders of my companions and thought that I was being honest and rational about it. Now that I am older I can see how I brought this on myself but at the time I was horribly angry with them. In my anger I decided that rather then backing out of the stupid bet I was going to win and show them all. And so a bad decision brought on another as is often the case. I was far too proud to back down now.

My first step was to observe the humans; I had never really cared about them before since they had nothing really to do with me. I mean I made them fall sometimes, mostly out of boredom. Or I brought down one of their buildings that should have been able to stand for centuries just because it was amusing to see them jump up and down and swear. The biggest problem, I decided that I would have, was to show these humans that I existed. If I didn’t I couldn’t move on to the next step which was getting them to respect me more then Time.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment