Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lif's Tale VI

“If all of you die, what happens to us that we survive?” Lifprasir asked. I could tell she had the same doubts I had. It seemed very unlikely all in all.

“There is a place where you will be safe,” Loki assured us.

“Then why aren't you all going to that safe place too?” I asked.

“We can't fight against fate, and our lives are worth the lives of our enemies. I am willing to die to kill Heimdal. He may not be Odin but I will leave Odin to my son. Fenrir is a better match for Odin, I will kill the enemies that I know I can kill and if I can take an enemy with me it is well worth it.” Loki was starting to get fired up again but I didn't really understand it. I have never been attracted to the idea of dying just because I don't like someone else.

“So how will we know where is this safe place to go if everyone else is going to die?” asked Lifprasir.

“You are sure to find it, because you have been seen finding it. If it would make you feel better however I will show you before we march into battle.” He could see the look of relief on Lifprasir's face, and I must admit on mine as well. Having comforted us, I was starting to suspect that Loki was a nice person, he walked off. I could see him taking the tiller of the ship and the ship started truly flying forward.

Almost instantly we were level with where the rainbow had broken off and I could see that it was a whole different world. I could see a tree up above us and I realized that what I had always called the sky was actually the broad, interlocked leaves, of the tree. We were so high up in the sky and all we were at was the roots. I could see the tree had three roots, one was right at our feet. It was huge and twisted like a staircase up to the sky. It dug into the earth of the land we had reached, it was beautiful but thinking about what was likely to happen there according to Loki made me shudder.

“There, climb up that root and you should be fine,” Loki shouted to us, pointing at the root that I had noticed. As he pointed the ship plowed into the ground and slowly tipped over. I was braced up against the edge of the ship so I wasn't hurt and neither was Lifprasir but we were both surprised and shaken. I instantly dragged Lifprasir to her feet though, behind us I could see the rushing hordes that Loki had brought with him from the depth of the earth. I doubted that they would stop to let us move. Pulling Lifprasir alone with me by her hand I was at the root of the tree in record time. We were already climbing by the time that everyone else was off of the ship.

I will never forget that day, as fire covered the earth and scorched the roots of the tree we sat in the branches and watched. We watched as the serpent and a man with a giant hammer battled and then both feel beside one another. We watched as Fenrir the wolf fought with another man and defeated him, only to then have a sword shoved through the top of his head and die. The earth was destroyed, the gods died like flies, I cried when I saw Loki fall. And then all was quiet and three gods still stood on the battle field unmoving. I motioned to Lisprasir and we climbed down out of the three cautiously.

“You are the humans, we will remake the world, and you will repopulate it,” said a fair haired god, who was the most beautiful thing man or object I had ever seen. It was an awkward subject, Lifprasir and I repopulating the earth though and I looked at her to see what her reaction would be, but she just smiled at me and I knew it would be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment