Saturday, March 14, 2009

Dangerous Games V

“I heard of course about Al, so unfortunate when families can’t get along. You should be ashamed of yourself, bullying your brother to that extent,” Ben preached at me. He looked totally sincere while he said it even; I will admit that I did actually feel a pang of guilt until I remembered what he had done to his sister. Mary had been far more defenseless then Al had been, though Al had been pretty pathetic as well.

“So what are you going to do now? How many people from our family do you intend to stab in the back before you are content?” Ben demanded. Always trying to pretend he is above all of us, that’s Ben.

“How would you like to be next?” I asked, finally getting angry enough to stop pretending that we were friends.

“Don’t even try it my dear cousin, I would hate to have to destroy you,” Ben’s voice grew just as harsh as mine had. It was nice to stop lying. He was still smiling with all sincerity and honesty, but that’s what Ben scary. If he wasn’t I would have taken him down long ago. To destroy another leader, that was going to be my new goal I decided right then and there. After all, I hated all of them, and what good did it really do to take down people who were lower then me. If I looked at people as stepping stones I wanted to go higher, not stay at the same height.

“If I wanna challenge you then, how should I get?” I asked. If anyone had walked in at that moment they probably would have decided we were going to kill each other, we sure looked it.

“I would suggest then, as someone who really cares about your welfare, that you defeat at least Dan first, though Isabelle would be better. After all if she could beat me she would have already, and that means she’s weaker then I am. Of course I don’t want to sound like I am trying to cause family strife but I am telling you my honest opinions.”

Ben smiled me to the door and I left. Having made my visits, and gained a new goal, I returned to my room. Alice was waiting for me, she’s another cousin, and one who I have never really noticed even thought we live so close to each other. She is always in the background of everything.

“What do you want?” I asked, unlocking my door. It’s a very good idea to always lock your door around here, though some of my opponents know how to pick most locks. Because of that I installed alarms and have caught a couple of people in the act.

“I am here to offer you my services,” Alice said. Because she usually doesn’t say much I had expected her to have a quiet voice but her voice is crisp and businesslike.

“What kind of services,” I said, sitting down. This was after all a job interview, I’ve never been to one of course, not out here, but I’ve seen them on TV. I have a good idea of how they should be done anyway.

“I heard a rumor that you intend to take out Isabelle, I want to help.” I couldn’t help but wonder how someone so straightforward could survive in this world. Obviously she had though, that would be a reason for her to keep her mouth shut. “I would like to know how it is that the news of my plans gets home before I do,” I told Alice.

“That’s something you only find out if you agree that I work with you, not only that but I would like it in writing that I am under your protection and you won’t get rid of me when it’s convenient for you.” This was the first time that I had ever heard of such a thing. If nothing else Alice had a sense for business the rest of us didn’t.

“Asking for a lot aren’t you?” I asked. She had interested me, she would make a very useful tool but she couldn’t know that yet.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment