Friday, March 27, 2009

Robert III

It all started when the head of the office, his name is Dave, came to talk to Robert. He looked grim as he marched past my cubicle’s door and into Robert’s. That is always a bad sign. Dave is usually a cheerful man, when he looks serious you know you’re really in trouble. Not that I have a lot of dealing with him, mostly I have to deal with Robert because he’s right over me. That is unfortunate since Robert isn’t as forgiving as Dave is. The last time that my project was behind schedule Robert made my life miserable for a full week.

“Robert, we have come to a very serious conclusion,” Dave told Robert. His voice was low but like I said, my cubicle is right next to Robert’s so I could still hear what he was saying. “We have evidence that you have been stealing money from our office accounts,” Dave continued.

“What?!” exclaimed Robert. “I have been loyal to this firm for a very long time, how could you think that I would do something like that.”

“For God sake Robert be quieter, we’re trying to spare you from embarrassment. Mr. Williamson has agreed that if you agree to pay back the money you took we won’t press charges. Otherwise I will have to call the police.”

“I swear I never stole any money, not a cent. I’m an honest family man; I have never done anything that would be called illegal or underhanded.”

“I told you that we have investigated this. We have found evidence; I mean it about calling the police if you don’t pay back the money you have taken. If you do give us the money back you will be allowed to hand in your resignation and leave quietly. This is a lot better offer then you would get from any other company but Mr. Williamson wants to avoid scandal.”

“I can’t pay you back money that I never took. I have never done anything wrong,” Robert said.

“Then I have no choice but to call the police Robert,” said Dave. Robert continued to work until the police showed up to take him away. I don’t think he believed that Dave would really call them. It took a little while for the police to show up, they had to get a warrant for his arrest I heard later. With the evidence that the company had already provided their lawyer though it didn’t take long. It wasn’t until the police actually were handcuffing Robert that he finally broke down and started panicking.

In the end the police had to half drag Robert out of the building and the whole time he was shouting that he was innocent. Dave looked really embarrassed by Robert’s behavior. Dave takes the company policy of causing as little fuss as possible very seriously and I don’t think anyone was doing their work while Robert was being taken through the halls.

I guess it just goes to show that you can judge people by their personalities. Robert wasn’t a really nice guy and what does it turn out, he’s a thief. I wonder what my new boss will be like; I hope it’s an easier going guy.

Dave came to me today and told me that he suspected one of the men under him of embezzling money. I told him that was a very serious allegation and asked if he had any proof, he said that he did. He showed me the places in our books where it looked like some of the numbers had been forced; they were all books that had gone through the hands of Robert, a very serious business.
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment