Thursday, March 5, 2009

Please Respond II

A letter from Caroline to one of her old college friends:

Dear Alice,

I was very happy to hear from you; it seems like only yesterday that we were staying up until two o’clock in the morning, cramming for science classes. I won’t say that I miss those days.

I got laid off from my job, so I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. They had no real complaint against my work, but they decided that there wasn’t enough work for both secretaries and the other one had been working there longer so I was the one they got rid of. I have looked for another job but there don’t seem to be any around. Jonathon tells me not to worry, that he is making enough money to support us very well now that he has been promoted.

Jonathon is away again, on yet another business trip, this is the third one in as many months. I’m getting tired of it, I really am. Still I shouldn’t burden you with my troubles. How are Jack and little James?

Please respond soon, you have no idea how happy I am to have any sort of friendly human interaction.

Your friend,

Caroline

Taken from Caroline’s diary:

I tell myself that life is everything that I could want. I have a husband who loves me and wants to give me everything I need; I have a roof over my head, and all of the food I could want. This is the life that I always dreamed of when I was little, I don’t have to work, and I can live in leisure. So why is it that I hate it as much as I do?

You know what I really hate? It’s this city, with everyone in it. It would be alright I suppose if I actually lived inside city limits but instead we live out in the sticks and I have to drive in to do anything. I just don’t have the energy to drive in every day just to live, and so I find myself lying around the house not living at all. The neighbors are all uneducated, stay at home mothers who I can’t relate to, so even they aren’t companions. I have made positively no friends since we came here, and it’s already been two years.

Jonathon is home less and less. Even when he isn’t on business trips now he stays late at the office and logs more hours then anyone else in the company. I want to move but Jonathon says that to leave this city would waste all of his hard work to make his way up in the company.

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment