Sunday, March 22, 2009

Interview With the Wanderers

“It’s amazing how much food people throw out, but that only works in the city. Doesn’t always task good, but it is food. When that didn’t work, like when I was in the country I usually just asked people for food, people feel bad for you when you haven’t eaten in two days.”

“You said that you’ve been here for some time now, what made you decide to settle down?”

“This is a nice place, lots of food, a place to sleep where the cops don’t complain, and freedom. I don’t have to work, I don’t have to bother with a house, and life is a lot simpler now. At least that’s what I think, that’s why people call me crazy.”

“So you really think that living this life is easier?”

“Very much so, so much less responsibility, I want to go to the library now though, so I’ll be leaving.”

“Of course, so how about you, do you live in this park as well?”

“That’s right, for about a year now.”

“What were your reasons for becoming homeless?”

“I didn’t have a choice. Couldn’t pay the rent, spent all my money on stupid things.”

“What kind of things?”

“I know you’re thinking it so I’ll just out and say it, I’m a recovered alcoholic. I don’t drink a drop anymore, but that doesn’t help the past much. Didn’t work so well, didn’t earn too much, and got kicked out of my apartment, end of story.”

“But you don’t drink anymore?”

“Can’t afford it, lost my job, called in sick too many days, haven’t drunk in months.”

“Couldn’t you find a new job?”

“No address, no phone, looking like this, no good reference from my old boss? No one will hire me. I figure I’m stuck like this.”

“So of course you’ve tried to find a new job?”

“No, no point. Waste of time. You know the last time I had a shower? No one would hire me.”

“So if you could get cleaned up and dressed nice you would try for another job?”

“Yes, I would, I don’t want to live like this, not fun.”

“Aren’t you worried that if you would start drinking again?”

“If given another chance, would I ruin it? Crazy, not a chance, live in my means, wouldn’t drink at all.”

“I’ll give you five hundred dollars for the rights to this interview, which should give you a chance.”

“Thanks, means a lot. Should talk to her, only been here for about a week.”

“Really? Excuse me, can I talk to you, I’m writing a book. I’m interviewing people who live in this park. I’ll pay you for your time of course.”

“Alright, what do you want to know?”

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment